Sunday 20 May 2012

Real Rock Round 2



A couple of weeks ago, during a mass decluttering of our flat we discovered long forgotten vouchers for a trip to the popular treetop adventure playground  Go-Ape, after booking online we started the more important task of scouring the area for nearby crags. A brief Google revealed that there was an epic looking set of boulders less than 10 minutes from the Go-Ape car park - needless to say my already childlike excitement at the prospect of a day out clambering around obstacles and ziplines hit a new height and I couldn't wait to get out on real rock again.




After an afternoon of flying through the forest, jumping off platforms and balancing precariously on wooden planks we refueled with a cup of coffee and slab of chocolate cake and set off in search of Bridestones.


Due to a general inability to read directions we took an unintentional shortcut, down a road that was technically closed for repairs and found the car park at the base of the crag. After scrambling up a hill we wandered through a field and found a striking arrangement of boulders catching all the late afternoon sun.


The first thing that struck me about Bridestones is that the majority of the climbs were overhanging and tall. Really tall. The Boy bounded about like an eager puppy, mapping routes and pointing out climbs that completely terrified me. As a relative newbie to outdoor bouldering I realised that the fear that often cripples me indoors had definitely followed me here. I looked at the overhanging ledges and couldn't fathom being able to haul myself up there. Indoors, I tend to downclimb from a challenging move if it requires commitment and there's a high chance I'm going to fall - and now I found that fear rendering me unable to get more than a few feet from the ground.




I persevered for an hour or so and after some initial fear and frustration I did manage to top out on a few things. This included sending a climb that I freaked out on, realised downclimbing wasn't an option and had to give myself an impromptu pep talk in order to get myself moving again. 



All in all I had a great time, and I feel that I finally made some progress on getting to grips with improving my skill, technique and learning how to adapt what I've learnt down the gym to real life rock.



Next week I'm shacking up in a caravan, dedicating 7 glorious days to getting out on some gritstone (weather pending!) and working on eliminating that fear factor that is holding me back. Wish me luck!

5 comments:

  1. Nice Post as ever. Blog is looking cool by the way

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a cracking day. I often work near GoApe and watch people hitting the floor at the end of the last zipline, looks like great fun.
    If you liked the Bridestones you're gonna love the harder (literal) sandstone on the moors. Scugdale and Wainstones are the obvious venues but there's so much to explore, do you realise what you're getting yourself into?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bridestones was loads of fun, I've just come back from a Yorkshire Grit holiday and I'm afraid the addiction has been well and truly ingrained - it's too late to turn back now!

      Last summer I did some trad at Scugdale, Wainstones, Highcliff Nab, I've been back to Scugdale to boulder recently and loved it, well until it started to rain!

      Delete
  3. As well as bouldering, you should also of course lead some gritstone climbs, i.e that you can protect and so make completely safe, unlike highball boulder problems. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete